Sunday, May 11, 2008

Gestational Diabetes

Alright, well in case you're wondering how I do all this... I thought I'd document it. Sorry if blood bothers you but it's only a prick. I think of myself as Sleeping Beauty on that spindle. ;> So I have cut out a lot of carbs because that's what turns into sugar. I can still eat sweets and carbs, but only in small portions at certain times of day. I do 4 blood-sugar readings a day: 1 before I have breakfast and the rest are about 2 hours after each meal. My goal number in the morning is 90 or less and after meals it's 120 or less. I'm going on week 2 and feel much more confident in knowing what it is I can eat. Whip cream and pickles are the greatest things! Not together, so much, but I love them as my snack. I've found sugar-free ice cream and low card ice cream bars! So I don't feel too deprived! I miss my cereal, fruit/juice, bread, pasta, and potatoes in portions of my liking, but again, if I just keep it minimal, I'm ok!


1: Here is my handi-dandi pouch that goes with me everywhere now.
2: Inside holds all the goods.
3: The pen is an adjustable blood sampler- the white thing is a sterile lancet.
4: Take off the cap of the pen-insert the lancet.

5: Twist off the tip and there 's the needle! Then you put the pen cap back on.6: Here is the Meter and a tube of test strips
7: The test strip: bottom goes into machine and top takes the blood sample.
8: Once you insert the strip there's a symbol of a blood droplet that flashes: it's ready!
9: BRACE YOURSELF! Place the pen against the side of your fingertip. (the side is best because it won't hit so many nerves) Then push the white triangle button for the prick.
10: Ouch, but not too bad. Usually I have to squeeze my finger to get enough blood for the reading. If not, you get to prick again! I've had to prick 3 times once! That was not fun!
11: 5 seconds to your results- 90! FABULOUS! Then I keep it a log and report once a week to my nurses voicemail and she'll call me about any concerns she or I have. I've learned to stick with protein and green beans/ salad! Then I get to choose how I want to use up those carb points!

Hope you've enjoyed this tour of the new excitement in my life! So, no cookies please, unless they're made with SPLENDA! Hand me the Jello Pudding!

xoxox

3 comments:

THE SAWYER FAM said...

wow, you're a trooper!! It can't be fun to do that all day long. But then again it's almost over and then you can go back to all you favorites carbs! Good job for keeping track of it though... that should keep you baby's sugar nice and even when you have her!

Noelle said...

The things you do for your kids! And she's not even born yet! I was a curios one so thanks for sharing. Hang in there!

stef j. said...

that's pretty cool ... hmmm, maybe cool isn't the word, but I think it's amazing you're able to curb your cravings. I'm pathetic during pregnancy - if I crave it I figure my body must need it so I eat it, even if it's a carton of powdered donuts. :)