Monday, October 5, 2009

"Never mind that ..."

Why do we as a society quote people? Oft times I think it's because someone else said something exactly the way we feel it. Or when you hear the quote, you knew in your soul that what was said was true. You learned something and want to share what you learned and found so valuable.

Yesterday I heard something that shook my soul. It was not something I learned. I already knew it. But when I heard it it was as though he was interpretting my heart. He put my feelings into words and he did it beautifully. Whether or not you watched this- please watch it again. It will take just 16 minutes. So whenever you can listen & not be interupted, please do so.

Do it for me! It will move you as it moved me.
"Wow" is all that I could say. Click on this:

16 Minutes of Inspiration

After you click on this link please select "Elder Jeffery R. Holland" under the Sunday PM session.
This is the 16 minutes I am talking about.






These are part of what really sang to me: (read after you listen)
"Never mind that... "

179 years!
Only 531 pages.
10's of millions of readers.
"No wicked man could write such a book as this.
And no good man would write it- unless it where true.
And he where commanded of God to do so."

"I did not sail with the Brother of Jared in crossing an ocean and settling in a new world.
I did not hear King Benjamin speak his angelically delivered sermon.
I did not proselyte with Alma & Amulek,
Nor witness the firey death of innocent believers.
I was not among the Nephite crowd who touched the wounds of the resurrected Lord
Nor did I weep with Mormon & Moroni over the destruction of an entire civilization."

"BUT MY TESTIMONY OF THIS RECORD & THE PEACE IT BRINGS TO THE HUMAN HEART IS AS BINDING & UNEQUIVICAL AS WAS THEIRS. LIKE THEM I GIVE MY NAME UNTO THE WORLD, TO WITNESS UNTO THE WORLD, THAT THAT WHICH I HAVE SEEN AND LIKE THEM I LIE NOT. GOD BEARING WITNESS OF IT.
I ASK THAT MY TESTIMONY OF THE BOOK OF MORON AND ALL THAT EMPLIES BE RECORDED BY MEN ON EARTH AND ANGELS IN HEAVEN!"

.... I, Hillary Haar Williams, have received knowledge that this book is true. I know that God lives. That He loves me. I know that He sacrifices His son, Jesus the Christ, to be our Savior so that we may return to Him. I know that Jesus was the perfect example. He lived life as we should. I have felt the Atonement in my life. I know He paid the price. We can lean on Him. He knows our pains. He did it that we may not suffer pain and emptiness. He completes us. He is that perfect pieces that will fill all voids! I know that He answered the sincere question a young boy, at the humble age of 14, had concerning which church to be true. He told him that none where true. And from that day forward God has lead Joseph Smith, and every other prophet since, to be His mouth piece. To teach the people how to have happiness in their lives. How to love and care for one another. How we may become perfect like Christ. He has given us the Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon so that we may learn.

I know that God loves us as much as he loved Adam and Eve, Noah, Moses, and those in ancient times. That is why He has given us a prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, to prophecy truths. That we, the meek and lowly, can rise up and be better. I believe in families. I am not satisfied with "til death do us part." Because we have Temples we can be married for time & all eternity. The length that love can endure! I would not want to be with out Derek or Jocelyn or any of the rest of our family after I die. That wouldn't be heaven to me. I want them to be MINE! Forever! I'm grateful that we wil be!

I know that I am an important member of the Relief Society. I can be used to help those in need if I am but willing to be selfless and serve others. To love one another as Jesus loves me. I am blessed by prayer and I know that if I was consistent I could become perfect in my prayers. I strive for these things although I certainly have not mastered them! I aspire to be wise in doctrine. To have mysteries unfolded unto me. I am grateful for the beauties of the earth. I know that they are here for our enjoyment! We can not take it for granted. I am blessed by sisterhood, womanhood & motherhood. I know this gospel to be the truth! I hope that I can be a good example to you. That you can count on me in your times of need and sorrow. I will mourn with you. I will rejoice with you! I love you!

I hope that you enjoyed that 16 minutes as much as I did. I am grateful for Jeffrey R. Holland. For his willingness to share his heart with us! I know I benefitted!

9 comments:

Becky Smith said...

Thanks for sharing Hillary. I really enjoyed conference and it is always good to hear what others favorite talks were too! WHAT A POWERFUL TALK! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I loved his talk too. I was just in awe at how powerfully persuasive he said these words of the Lord. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa said...

I know this talk rocked my soul. It was so perfectly simple, logically and straightforward, and so true! I love this talk so much and am so grateful for our leaders who are willing and able to speak and share the truth of the gospel with the world.

Gordon and Katrina said...

This talk was wonderful. It was so straightforward and true. I am so thankful for General Conference and the spiritual renewal and reminders it can bring to everyone who listens.

We miss you guys!! If you ever pass through Oregon, let us know 'cause we would love to see you!!! And we will do the same if we ever travel close to where you are!!!

THE SAWYER FAM said...

Loved this one too!! It was very powerful! I love Elder Holland. He's actually always been one of my faves!

Noelle said...

That was the best talk! He doesn't dink around! Thank you for sharing your testimony too Hillary!

Mom said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony! That't what makes a parent happy is knowing that their children love the Lord and want to serve Him. xoxo see u in two months:)

anelieze castrejon said...

oh my goodness--i cannot tell you how much i ANTICIPATED Elder Holland's talk! {and it was a lot of anticipation--he didn't speak til the last session! talk about dragging it out for me ;}

I just KNEW and EXPECTED he would deliver, as he has done so effectively in the past. franco & i just listened and our jaws were wide open at the end.

franco commented right after that he always directs his talks to the non-believers. well, i'm a believer and was blown away by his words...i can only imagine what the people on the other side of the spectrum thought.

WOW.

thanks for posting :)

Anelieze

Shanae said...

What a wonderful post!!! It was a most amazing powerful talk and testimony of the Book of Mormon! Thank you so much for sharing your testimony and for this post!