My parents just told me that they had a pounding knock at the door the other morning. The door bell rang franticly! It was about 7am and my Dad was getting dressed & ready for work. He rushed to the door wondering who would be there so early. He opened the door & saw their next door neighbor, Norma, standing there & she quickly said,
"My husband is drowning in our pool can you PLEASE help me get him out?!"
Instantly they run over & my Dad dove into the deep end. Mike, her husband, was at the bottom! It took my Dad 3 tries to pull his 200lb body out. He had to take him to the shallow end & then lift him out. Meanwhile, Norma was inside the house. She couldn't handle watching! My Mom was by my Dad's side, calling 911 & they stayed on the line to assist in any way possible. My Dad recalled the boy scout CPR training & was able to get Mike breathing by the time the Ambulance arrived!!!
It took about the whole day in the hospital but by nights end Mike had passed away. His body was responding but not his brain. He had been in the water too long.
Poor Norma! She had the pool filled in and gave their pool gate to my parents so that the grandkids (Jocelyn) would be safe. My heart aches for her. To have seen what happened & to now be alone. Her poor grieving soul.
I share this story with you because I couldn't believe my ears! I mourn with Norma! She is such a sweet lady! Mike will be missed by all. But I am particularly proud of my Dad. How hard it must have been for him! Physically & Emotionally! I can not imagine the shock & strength that is required. But emotionally that must be very difficult to do. To have that replaying in his mind. I would have titled this post "My Dad the Hero," but I wasn't sure if in order to be a "hero" Mike would have had to live. But Webster defines the word:
- Main Entry: he·ro
- Pronunciation: \ˈhir-(ˌ)ō\
- Function: noun
- Inflected Form(s): plural heroes
- Etymology: Latin heros, from Greek hērōs
- Date: 14th century
1 a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability b : an illustrious warrior c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one that shows great courage
So I think he is a Hero. I admire him for his achievements & noble qualities. I'm glad he knows CPR & was able to execute. He was able to bring his heart back to breathing. And above all he showed great courage! Dad, I admire you. That must have been a difficult experience. I am grateful for your wisdom and courage. But he wouldn't like the title. He is but a humble man.
I know that some of you may have family or friends that have drown. I do. So I am not trying to diminish that event! That is horrific. A real tragedy. Apparently Mike had been for a jog that morning & it being summer in Fresno it's already hot that early. So once he got home he went to cool off in the pool. Norma was just on the other side of the sliding glass door! She blames herself for not watching him... I hope she can not torment herself with that! Mike had some heart conditions and had collapsed before. So we can only assume what exactly caused him to drown. May he rest in peace and God lift Norma's weary heart!
I love you Dad! You are my Everyday Hero!


7 comments:
Your Dad is a hero. My heart goes out to your neighbor and your dad. That would be a tough experience.
Your dad is a total hero. That is such a crazy story.
Wow... what an experience for everyone. Although I've only seen your dad a few times I can tell what a good man he is! And even if Mike didn't survive, you're dad surely is a hero for trying!
Such a shock, Hillary!! So sad. Life gives us such difficult experiences. Your father showed such courage and compassion!
Your father IS a HERO!!! My heart also goes out to Norma.
wow. that is a crazy story Hill.I would'nt expect any less of your parents. They are incredible people!!
Your dad IS the definition of hero. I got goosebumps reading your blog. Very sad story.
Post a Comment