|
|
|
|
As a new parent, that's probably one of your biggest questions. Below are some general guidelines as to how many hours of sleep the average child requires at various ages. Of course, every child is different — some need up to two hours more or less sleep than others.
| Age | Nighttime Sleep | Daytime Sleep * | Total Sleep |
| 1 month | 8 1/2 | 7 (3) | 15 1/2 |
| 3 months | 10 | 5 (3) | 15 |
| 6 months | 11 | 3 1/4 (2) | 14 1/4 |
| 9 months | 11 | 3 (2) | 14 |
| 12 months | 11 1/4 | 2 1/2 (2) | 13 3/4 |
| 18 months | 11 1/4 | 2 1/4 (1) | 13 1/2 |
| 2 years | 11 | 2 (1) | 13 |
| 3 years | 10 1/2 | 1 1/2 (1) | 12 |
| * number of naps in parentheses | |||
Keep in mind that most children need lots of sleep. Often, says BabyCenter sleep expert Jodi Mindell, author of Sleeping Through the Night, if a child has poor sleep habits or refuses to go to bed before 11 at night, his parents will think that he just doesn't need a lot of sleep. That's probably not true — in fact, it's likely that such a child is actually sleep-deprived. To see whether your child falls into that camp, ask yourself these questions:
• Does your child fall asleep almost every time he's in a car?
• Do you have to wake your child almost every morning?
• Does your child seem cranky, irritable, or overtired during the day?
• On some nights, does your child seem to crash much earlier than his usual bedtime?
If you answered "yes" to any of these, your child may be getting less sleep than he needs. To change this pattern, you'll need to help him develop good sleep habits and set an appropriate bedtime. "Then he'll get all the sleep he needs to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed," Mindell says.
As he gets older, your child will probably stop napping and start doing all of his sleeping at night. Preschoolers and young elementary school students still need up to 10 or 11 hours of sleep a night, but that amount will gradually decrease. By the time he's a teenager, your child will need only about nine or 10 hours of shut-eye per night. To find out more about children's sleep patterns.
*** I found this info useful! People have made me wonder if Jocelyn was sleeping enough or too much, so I guess this is still the great answer! Here are some other tips Jocelyn and I have been using.[From Baby Wise and Happiest Baby on the Block] ***
| Jocelyn’s Feeding Schedule | WHAT TO DO |
| early morning | |
| A.M. |
|
| midmorning | |
| A.M. |
|
| Afternoon | |
| P.M. |
|
| mid afternoon | |
| P.M. |
|
| late afternoon | |
| P.M. |
|
| early evening | |
| P.M. |
|
| late evening | |
| P.M. |
|
| middle of the night | |
| A.M. |
|
_________________________________________________________
The 5 S’s + the cuddle cure = Sweet Dreams
Swaddling-A feeling of pure “wrap”ture
Side (or Stomach)-Your baby’s feeling good position
Shhhh-Your baby’s favorite soothing sound
Swinging-Moving in rhythm with your baby’s needs
Sucking- pacifier: The icing on the cake
4 comments:
Oh I love such organization! I'm still very much a mommy on a schedule and she's 15 months. I don't know how other mom's do it with out a schedule in place. I would be cranky and Mallory would be cranky. I'm so glad you figured it out. The one thing I got bummed about was when others would watch her and they would totally disregard the schedule. Then I'd have to come back home and fix it. Some people just don't get it.
I can't believe they sleep that much. I wish I could sleep that much. Can you get a chart for how much adults should sleep?? Miss that little Jo Jo already!
Oh Hilary, I have so much to learn from you. Thanks so much for sharing. Jocelyn has the best mother.
I love the babywise schedule! We still use it to this day! Brielle takes about 2 two hour naps a day and she goes to bed around 7:30-8:00 and wakes up around 7-7:30. She is 18months! They really do need sleep! And I could never have done it without a schedule. I always knew exactly what she needed--even when she was sick or teething I could tell right away because she was fussy around different times not when she was hungry or tired. It makes life so much easier!
Post a Comment